Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cat-Sitting Quilt-A-Thon

When last we left our heroine, she was flabbergasted to find her queen-sized batting and backing were, indeed, not the size she required for her ginormous Scrappy Trip quilt!

At least someone was amused.

Benedict Cumberbatch via BBC America's "Top Gear" kept me company as the quilting drama unfolded

My solution was to piece a backing using the best thing I've ever found at Goodwill (no hyperbole, folks!)



I groaned as I sliced the elastic off the fitted sheet, thinking how soft and wonderful they'd be to sleep on, but it's the sacrifice we make for art, no?

Besides, this quilt is worthy of Amy Butler organic cotton backing!


Kitty-approved, of course.


And a JoAnn's coupon and package of KING-sized batting later, finally I could proceed with the quilting!


Even creatively piecing all that Amy Butler goodness wasn't enough for a full backing, so I added in a few chunks from my stash that were worthy of such a monumental honor (or at least blended well, as seen above). Kitty-approved, of course.


I must confess, I lost some of my quilting mojo and did not get the entire thing done, but I made significant progress doing "organic" straight lines on the diagonal. This is definitely a quilt in which "done is better than perfect". I've never made something this big, and doing it all on my home machine is quite the undertaking, especially for a gal without access to a large dining room table.


I moved it to my parents for the time being. I'll commandeer their table some weekend soon and finish her up.

Meanwhile, I also had the chance to work on my Himalayan Salt quilt! Just a bit of binding to finish and this puppy's good to go! It's a birthday present due in October, but I was extremely motivated to go full-throttle on it.


I didn't get as much accomplished as I hoped, but I did get a lot done, and the rest will, I suppose, come in time. I am so thankful for the opportunity to use the space and the time to sew!


And, annoying as they were at times, I am thankful for my little "helpers"!

No comments: