Sunday, June 2, 2013

Scrappy Trip - A Beginning

I confess, I succumbed.

After making these blocks, I just couldn't get rid of the feeling that I'd like to make a Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt.

I stalked the Flickr group. I scrolled through Instagram hashtags (#scrappytrip or #scrappytripalong). I fingered fabric in my mind, even posted Facebook statuses about my turmoil.

Then, finally, unable to bear the torment a moment longer, I threw caution to the wind and started hacking.


Four hundred forty 16x2.5-inch strips later, I settled on 72 blocks of scrappy fabulosity. (Don't think too long about the math - I rounded up on purpose!)


In my first sitting, I stitched 19 strip sets, each set to become a block using 6 prints.


Today I brought my total up to 36.


My strategy has been to just pull pieces from a couple of fluffy bags-full and not think too much about it - except that prints don't repeat within a set and that each set has at least one "punchy" fabric. Otherwise I'm trying not to be too ordered. It's a joy seeing them start to stack up so quickly! I feel as if I started just in time. The goal is to have this puppy pieced and quilted before summer's out - formidable, perhaps, but I'll ride the wind of a fresh project as long as it lasts!

2 comments:

Royce said...

Isn't it wonderful fun to not have to over think and plan to much for a quilt? I just love it.
Your black and white BOM are looking wonderful that is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Staci said...

Oh, Mary this is going to be so much fun! Enjoy the scrappy random freedom of the process.