Friday, April 26, 2013

Sewing Binge

Sewing can help with jet lag! At least that's one explanation...

Being abroad kept me from finishing my March goal or setting an April goal, but I am making up for lost time anyway!

The Guild did a jelly roll race awhile back, and I'd always wanted to follow up with a quilt in greys. When I found out that Moda's "Puttin' On the Ritz" came in grey, I bought my roll and added in black and pink pieces to evoke Himalayan pink salt and cracked pepper crystals. The mindlessness of the piecing was wonderful for mentally processing my trip!



And although my daffodils were spent, my tulips were happy to be photographed along with the top!


I also whipped together a backing but didn't take photos. Then I moved on to finishing my March BOM


One of the people I met in England loves to sew, but she confirmed that quilt fabric is hard to come by over there. I pulled some pieces from my stash for her, but then I visited a local quilt shop as well! The name "Durham" popped out to me and plucked strings of my heart, immediately bringing me memories of cobblestone streets and St. Cuthbert's shrine in the cathedral. I didn't take any of it home with me, though.


I found fat quarters on sale, instead! Behold my first personal fabric purchase of 2013! Hopefully it will be my last. (Mmm... greys... and donkeys in wellington boots, who could resist?)


I also snagged a few for my new English friend!


These are now finding their long way across the pond to Northern England, hopefully with no hiccups along the way! Meanwhile I will sip a cup of tea and nibble a biscuit (not the kind with sorghum molasses and butter!) and link up with Whoop Whoop Fridays!

3 comments:

Quilting Nonnie said...

Your jelly roll race takes the cake! It is one of the prettiest I've seen. Beautiful color combination with popping pinks.

Sheila said...

Love the way you added pink and black to the gray themed jelly roll. Very classy quilt top. I think it beautiful.

Christina said...

Inspired adaptation of the jelly roll race! Thank you for showing it, it's lovely.