Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stitching Sherlock

My geekiness overfloweth.

Ever since I was introduced to Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson, I've been hooked on the show. If you've not yet investigated the phenomenon, here is the clip that got me interested.

The plot thickened as I learned one of my coworkers is a big fan of the show, too! Alas, she is transitioning to another lab in another state, so I determined to make her a few goodbye gifts.


The phrase "I am SHERlocked" is from Season 2. "Moriarty was real" is a fan phrase related to the final episode in that season.


There is a joke on the interwebs that Martin Freeman looks like a hedgehog and Benedict Cumberbatch an otter. Thus Johnhog and Otterlock - but I decided an otter would be too difficult to capture accurately. I used this tutorial for a teeny hedgehog pincushion, and it was just right!


Fan art in response to Sherlock often depicts Dr. Watson in a black-striped tee or cabled sweater. I combined the two by crocheting his body and stitching over in black yarn.


Now that these gifts are given / received I can finally blog about them - and come clean about my current geeky affiliation!

4 comments:

Royce said...

oh alas I no longer have cable but am a long time fan of everything Sherlock - Jeremy Bret being my all time fav as of now. This is one on utube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQ9kH0moLM

Royce said...

Oh forgot love the hedgehog

Beezus said...

It's a great show and I'm bummed that the next season might start late because Benedict Cumberbatch is off doing other great things (but seriously, what could he be doing that would even COMPARE???).

What a clever idea to come up with this awesome gift for your friend. :)

BTW, I also love Jeremy Bret as Sherlock, and I didn't think that I would ever be able to watch anyone else play that character because he did it so well. Looks like I was wrong. :)

Beezus said...

I'm a HUGE fan of Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch - I love this clever gift that you've made for your friend.

Incidentally, I, too, love Jeremy Bret, and I didn't think that anyone else would ever compare in that role. Looks like I was wrong. :)