Friday, March 1, 2013

March Goal: Square Knots!

Go with your passion, right? Currently I am passionate about putting blocks into tops! Then I can marathon-baste and marathon-quilt later in the year. For now, I'm challenging myself to put together my Square Knot blocks for a bed quilt! Thus far all my quilts have been closer to throw-size, so this one is a challenge for me! The original post and tutorial for these blocks can be found here.





I really like square quilts (ah, something so relaxing about a perfect square...) but this time it must be a rectangle! I came up with the idea to add some geese to help elongate the quilt, plus I plan on adding borders to make each "knot" stand out. I am trying to figure out what I was thinking because I seem to have made too many geese...


... which is really not a problem. They can become a toss pillow, perhaps?

I'm excited about putting this quilt together, partly because it's my first "real" original quilt block design. Several months ago, I was contacted by a quilter asking to use my block (with slight modifications) for her bee! I tracked her down, and if you're interested, you can find photos of others' interpretations of my block in this flickr group.

And just for kicks, here's a photo of my friend's cat doing her best to intimidate me. (I have to borrow friends' cats until I get one of my own...) 


Linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes!

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Love the addition of the geese! Good Luck

LethargicLass said...

I am love with this quilt! And I cannot get over your blog heading photo... you like identical to your relative!

Lyndsey said...

I love that block and the addition of the geese is going to make a stunning quilt top. Good luck at getting it finished.

jeifner said...

Congrats that your design is coming on so well!

Royce said...

Great quilt and I really like the added geese. Hope to see it at one of the guild meetings. Very nice!

leanne said...

can't wait to see this top finished - its going to be wonderful :)

capitolaquilter said...

I too like to work on whatever step in the quilting process I happen to be in the mood to do. Blocks to Tops is a great goal.