Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March Blocks

I can hardly believe it's Spring! That means we're at the end of the Sew Blues Bee. Sad, I know... I will spare you the puns and show you my blocks for the month instead.


Sally introduced a fabulous technique for "Anita's Arrowhead". These were, I must admit, a bit challenging because starch was a two-edged sword for me. But I do like how they turned out and could imagine making a quilt in this pattern myself!


Marta asked for Denyse Schmidt Simply Woven blocks. I do not have a stock of DS, but I loved working with Marta's prints and was happy to discover some I'd never seen before! Love that grey floral especially!


With the Music City Modern Quilters' BOM, the block this month was a raw-edged reverse-applique string block. I made an executive decision to stick with some sort of string block but nix the applique technique as it does not lend itself to the sort of quilt I am creating. So I chose to try out this block instead and used regular 1.5 inch strips. I like how it turned out, and I even went back and restitched some of the seams to fix the mismatched stripes. I'm excited about this quilt and about the next block, so even though my bees are over, I have a new block to look forward to every month!

Lots of transitions coming up... stay tuned!

No comments: