Sunday, December 16, 2012

School Gifts

What an incredible first semester it has been with the School of Supernatural Life. Absolutely life-altering, in the best way possible. As I write, I am awaiting the arrival of 3 or 4 of my classmates who are coming over for a holiday dinner and sleepover! While I wait, I thought I'd show a few of the gifts that have already gone to recipients.

First is a table runner made of charm squares and charm-sized improv blocks for the lovely hostess of our class Christmas party!




At first I'd arranged the blocks in a traditional nine-patch form, but a mutual friend suggested I "do what I do best" and make it splashes of color in the grey field. That in turn influenced the quilting, and the back is a chunk of vintage sheet.

When we had our gift exchange, our hostess had not taken a name, but when I got up to give her the gift, the applause was deafening! She hadn't told me her colors, so I had fun making something I felt reflected her, even if it doesn't go with her house. But she loved it anyway, and she is quite encouraging of my artistic endeavors. It was a pleasure making a gift for her!

After the applause died down, I gave my actual swap partner her gift! Part of it included a cheery cowl I'd knit in class!



I knit it before knowing who my swap partner would be, but I was hopeful whomever it was would like it. Interesting time learning to block acrylic yarn, by the way... Anyhow, I was thrilled to find out who the cowl would go to - and she was thrilled to receive it!

The girls are still on their way so I might as well show you what I made for them:




Sweet little stars from this tutorial (although folding the fabric in 4 is quite excessive, I found). My mother caught me making them and requested one set with a pin back to wear with her scrubs. If I had a minute more, I'd get on that directly. Alas, I'm 15 minutes' shy of arrival time, so I best get back to cooking!

Happy holidays, y'all!

2 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I am so happy that your schooling is awesome!!! I love all of your presents too...I looked at the instructions for the stars but don't read the language....what were your measurements....and how big did they end up? I want to make them too!!

Anonymous said...

Super beautiful stars and sounds like a fun time! AuntFran