Sunday, June 3, 2012

In Bloom Dress

Early Saturday morning I found myself scoping dress patterns and fingering two pieces of fabric in my mind. They had been waiting for quite awhile, so when day broke, I set about putting together what I'd pondered. I knew how the skirt would attach - the fabric screamed for it - but the bodice, well...

My first attempt was on the order of Anna Maria Horner's Museum Tunic tutorial. Alas, I am not built like her, and the result was wacky. (No need for photo documentation - the odd "sleeve" below bears enough witness.) In the end, I went with what felt right - and the result was, strangely enough, not too dissimilar from her Evening Empire Dress, as you will see.















Orange is Metro Living by Robert Kaufman, drawstring is vintage woven ribbon, blue is a cotton piece from Thailand (maybe?) that was in a bag of oddments given to me by a friend. Dress is pictured with my front-porch orchids and backyard rose of sharon, white dance pants and Chacos underneath.

I've not sewn clothes for awhile, and I remember now why. Things get complicated when they are in three dimensions! As I stitched, my friend was nearby cutting bridesmaid dresses, so a suggestion or two from her helped it come together, and her company kept me finishing it properly. Results? Couldn't ask for better! I certainly feel like my life is reflected in this dress - I am in bloom!

2 comments:

Carla said...

Wow that came out so pretty! It's good you figured out the kinks.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

You and your dress are beauties!!