Friday, May 18, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival - The Generations Quilt

Hi, all! I'm participating in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival via Amy's Creative Side!


Amy's Creative Side







My grandmother* passed before I was born, but she left behind some treasures. A few years ago, when I started quilting, one of my aunts brought me a stack of 15 flyfoot blocks. These were machine pieced by my grandmother, but never set.

This past fall, I suddenly had the urge to put those blocks together and make a quilt for my mother. I bought all the blue solids I could find, looking for just the right one, then made a 16th block. Because my grandmother had used some different blues in her blocks, I decided to continue in her direction by using the other blues for sashing. I attempted to free motion, but it was a thread- and heart-breaking process. I finished with straight lines and self binding.

On my mother's birthday, I surprised her at work. She was so touched, but I promised I wouldn't post pictures of those moments. Through this quilt, I've been able to connect to my grandmother in a way I never had before, and we've both been able to celebrate the wonderful woman that is my mother.

I chose this quilt for my entry into the Festival because my relationship with my mother is truly miraculous. As all mothers and daughters do, we've had our ups and downs, but in the past year especially our relationship has grown and blossomed. We still have room to improve, but I could not have imagined the sweetness we now share. I'm so thankful for her presence in my life, and I'm so happy to be able to give back to this woman who means so much to me. I love you, Momma!

*For those of you who are wondering, my Great-Grandmother Lillian is in my blog's header. Her daughter, Frances, made these blocks.

14 comments:

charlotte said...

Very pretty and nice job. I can't tell which block is the new addition. What a great family tradition to inherit.

Queenie Believe said...

A beautiful quilt full of love for the generations past and to come! Your story touches my heart.
Your a good daughter.
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Karen said...

I like the contrast of the blue and white. A beautiful blue color.

Kate said...

What a great way to remember both your Grandmother and your Mother. Beautiful quilt. Can't tell the new block from the others. Beautifully done.

CitricSugar said...

That is a truly special quilt. Thank you for sharing it!

Jennie said...

I absolutely LOVE the story behind this quilt. What a great way to connect with your grandmother as well as your mother.

I love the Southern connection of your blog. I claim the South as my heritage but there's so much I need to learn about it! Thanks for such a fabulous entry - so glad I found your blog!

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I love this quilt Mary!! Family Love!!

Margaret said...

wonderful story and quilt!

Check out my blog if you can...

Margaret Gunn
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

fallingforpieces said...

What a great gift to your mom and a great way to honor your grandmother! Thanks for sharing your quilt story with us.

Anne said...

What a special special thing to do for your mom. I hope the wonderful heritage of your quilt lives on for generations.

erica said...

Love the simplicity of the colors and design! Just wonderful!

Polka Dot Classic said...

Such a beautiful quilt :) Mary
and yes, I did wonder who was in your blog header
Have a wonderful day
Marta

felicity said...

I looove generational quilts and their stories. Thanks for sharing this beautiful finish!

straythreads said...

Beautiful quilt love the story you are such a wonderful daughter.
also love your rules!
Ann