Friday, April 27, 2012

Orange Log Cabin Tote

Inevitably, those things we use most...


... start to show it.

My Rescued Threads tote handle has seen better days (and I won't show you the threadbare back pocket or the safety pin holding it together). She's been a good girl, gotten me through the first two semesters of work in the lab, had coffee and lunches leaked in her, kept up with keys and research papers, survived being stuffed with yarn and quilt pieces... But I thought it time to retire the gal while she still has legs left to stand on.

Also, I wanted to make one of these for myself!


Thankfully, my friend's lighting engineer husband had provided plenty of grey denim for my tote. Orange corduroy came from another friend's stash, and lining is from Curio by Moda to match my zipper pocket book.


I added two interior pockets to help me stay extra organized. Thus far, I always know where my lab keys are kept! The ever-important and prone-to-disappear ink pens populate the other pocket. (Go ahead, try that last phrase... your tongue is eager to be twisted!)




I intentionally mismatched the sides. I wanted the emphasis to be orange, but by adding in grey strips, the log cabin pattern shows through.


Needless to say, I love my new tote. It's even more ideal than its predecessor, and the longer, sturdier handles make it more comfortable as I walk to and from work each day. I don't think I'll need to make another for awhile! This one's a keeper.

1 comment:

Barb said...

You really filled your tote....it looks great!