Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dwarves in the Shire

 Dwalin and Balin, Fili and Kili...


Bifur and Bofur, Oin and Gloin...


Dori, Nori, Ori and Bombur...


And "the great Thorin Oakenshield himself!"




In case it wasn't clear, I've decided to stitch green blocks inspired by my favorite Tolkien novels! I'm calling it my Shire Quilt. Each block represents a character, place, or event that has to do with The Shire from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books.

While playing with block design for the Sew Blues Bee, I realized I had twelve bow ties and one important-looking ring. The blocks felt rather dwarvish, so the thirteen dwarves from The Hobbit are now represented in my Shire Quilt! I'll add these to the "Mallorn leaves" (representing the three Elven ring bearers) and four-patch friendship star (representing the four hobbits of The Fellowship of the Ring) begun on St. Patrick's Day and finished later.

Although I just finished piecing a bow tie quilt, I'd been wanting to make one for myself even before bride-friend got engaged. I really like the modification of the central diamonds. Rendered in blue, I think I'll call it "Blue Diamond Ring". I'm also enjoying the play of contrasting fabrics in a single color. Though my original idea was for a neutral background, these blocks have me pondering tone-on-tone for the bee. I'm open to suggestions--any thoughts?

2 comments:

Deborah said...

This is an amazing and creative concept! Very beautiful, too.

Annaliese said...

Great blockies :) I'm excited to sew whatever you choose! Pssst, don't tell anyone, but I have never read the hobbit. I know! I need to get on that!

you should see this btw.. http://thepewteracorn.blogspot.com/2012/04/liebster-blog-award-and-some-good-blog.html