Sunday, February 26, 2012

Square Knot Block Tutorial

The artist of Lillian's Stitches can now be found at Walking With Feathers.


I woke up one morning with the design for this block in my head. After checking here, here, and here, I couldn't find a name for the block or a designer for it, so I guess I'll claim it and name it!



Presenting the Square Knot Block, my first original quilt block and first block tutorial!


You will need two fabrics in strips of the following widths to make a 12.5 inch square block. The number in parentheses indicates how many of each length you'll need. For example, cut (1) 1.5 x 3.5 inch strip and (2) 1.5 x 4.5 inch strips in your first color.


For this tutorial, my Color 1 is blue and my Color 2 is white.

Using a quarter inch seam, start by stitching each 1.5 x 4.5 inch  strip (blue) to either end of the 4.5 inch square (white), then stitch the 3.5 x 8.5 inch and 3.5 inch square (white) to either end of the 1.5 x 3.5 inch strip (blue).


Press seams towards the darker color, or press open (either way works). Do this throughout.

Stitch the 1.5 x 6.5 inch strip (blue) to the central piece as shown.


Next, stitch the 3.5 x 5.5 inch strip (white) to the right side of the center.


Stitch the 1.5 x 9.5 inch strip (blue) to the top of the central piece.


Stitch the 3.5 x 6.5 inch strip (white) to the left side of the central piece.


Stitch the top and bottom to the central piece, aligning Color 1 strips.

And you're done!


Now make a few more and make a square knot...


... or...


...or...


...or...


I got carried away and made sixteen blocks for four full square knots.


And in case the picture doesn't tell you loudly enough, these blocks were a great way to use up scraps and remnants!

Hope you've enjoyed my first block tutorial. Please let me know if you have any questions or ways I could improve! Thanks, and happy stitching!

4 comments:

Anita said...

Lovely block tutorial! Thank you for sharing.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

It's wonderful Mary!!

leanne said...

love this block - its looks fabulous in your quilt :)

Green said...

Hi! I'm in a quilt bee and I'd like to use this pattern for my month. Would it be possible to direct the people in the Simply Solids bee to your blog for the pattern and instructions? Thank you! Green