Friday, February 3, 2012

Gifts

It's better to give than to receive, but it's still good to receive!

It happens, on occasion, that when friends realize I am a quilter, exclamations of "Oh, would you like--" follow. For example:

"There's this quilt we have in storage. We don't know who made it. We found it in his grandmother's trunk. It smells like moth balls, though, and it's falling to pieces. Oh, and the backing looks like an old granny's wallpaper. But if you want it, we'd rather it be used than not."

Would I like it? Well...



Silk, velvet and embroidery, what! A couple of sticks of incense dispelled the moth ball smell, and yes, the silk is shredding in some places, but I *do* have a stash of deconstructed silk tops lying around, and that dupioni remnant... But meanwhile, I'll just pet it. And snuggle under it.

And the backing? Pah! Who cares when all that glory's on top!

Speaking of glory, I got a surprise package yesterday containing...


AACK! Thank you, dearest Orange You Glad hivemate! My jaw dropped. For several minutes. Literally. The only explanation was an invitation to PLAY! YAY!

Now to give. Convention may dictate this worth a post of its own, but, though fully awake, I'd rather finish up this post and get to sewing!

Tomorrow I'm off to visit my Grandmother. She's been part of so many firsts in my life:  first bath, first ice cream, first doll dress sewing, first Krispy Kreme, first trip to the emergency room... My first free motion quilt went to her last year (has it been a year already?!), and before that, my first quilted gift (coasters). To brighten up her room, I decided to make a first just for her:




That Alexander Henry backing is Grandmother to a T. She is a prolific reader, art aficionado, and quite as classically coiffed. I look forward to surprising her tomorrow and pray all the virtues of love, health, hope, faith, beauty and healing accompany her through this stage of life.

linked with sarah

5 comments:

Carla said...

That is a beautiful crazy quilt! Loe the colors and design of your cushion! Great finish!

Fabrics N Quilts said...

What a find! What great friends! Enjoy looking over every stitch...that'll take a long time!

Beautiful gift!
Whoop!Whoop!

Michelle said...

What a fun pillow! I'm sure your grandmother will love it.

And that Crazy Quilt...? What a treasure!

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, Mary, where to start? First of all, that pillow for your grandmother is amazing - both pattern and fabric! And the color!! And how lucky are you to get your hands on such a gorgeous crazy quilt? Whoop whoop!!

Chris said...

Hi Mary, beautiful pillow and your grandmother is going to be so pleased to receive it. Lovely work. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris.
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/