Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wrought Iron Blocks

One of my favorite adventurers got engaged on New Year's Day! We have watched angels at a barn dance, flown commercially and on hang gliders, snow boarded, been roommates, walked in the snow at midnight, spent Christmas together, graced famous music venues with our presence, traveled internationally, gone on frou-frou girlie outings, feasted, laughed, danced, created, dreamed and interpreted dreams, sledded on plastic tub lids down the backyard, survived floods, celebrated birthdays, sang original music, defied expectation, lived every day of our lives... together...

So she and her fella deserve a truly wonderful quilt.

I love the idea that orienting bow tie blocks into rings makes them a True Lover's Knot. I chose fabrics that speak of life, hope, favorable impressions and joy, then surrounded them with black to evoke wrought iron.

Tonight I assembled the first three blocks. Please note that the first picture is most accurate for color as I continue to try to make up for compact florescence and camera flashes.




I'm loving the look thus far! Scrappy but intentional...


I'm not too concerned with matching blacks. I used whatever I had on hand and can do no more without purchasing a yard or two more. I even made a few black "poverty blocks" which, as I am NOT wishing poverty over this couple, I shall rename "good stewardship blocks" and bless them with wisdom to steward all their resources.


I'm looking forward to seeing this piece come together! The couple have not set a date, so there's no rush, but with such an adventurous bride, I figure once they make up their minds, they'll lose no time. Until then, I'll do the same!

3 comments:

Cat said...

This quilt is going to be absolutely awesome!!! Love love love it!

H2Ogirl said...

Totally lovely! I adore the color choices and how this looks completely different in black!

grendelskin said...

Oh WOW Mary, it's wonderful! What a blast to make, and so full of love; it will help keep them both warm and happy!