Sunday, January 8, 2012

First Stitches of 2012

It was four days into 2012 before I sewed a stitch, and within the week I've already added an item to my list for the year and foregone another.

So this box of awesome arrived, courtesy of some Christmas funds (thanks, Mom and Dad!) and the FQS "Blogger's Choice Bundle" thingamajig, over the course of which I encountered some gotta-have-its and oh-my-it's-on-sales. It started with that yellow cartoon print, destined to be tea towels for a couple that are perfectly depicted therein, and as it's not really worth the price of shipping to just purchase one yard, I decided to fill my stocking with gorgeous fabrics I'd never buy for myself otherwise. And, oh yes, all. on. sale.

I stalked the UPS site for days...


And inside there were yards...


And half yards...


And before they arrived, I saw the Sew. Happy. Quilt. Quilt-A-Long, giving me a perfect opportunity to put them to use immediately! So I've added this to my list, but I've dropped the hobbit cloak (thanks to a clearance item at Pier 1, I'm all set in that department).


Thus, week 1's blocks:




And speaking of blocks, here are my practice blocks for the OYG bee:



And the real thing:


I'm so excited about the rest of the quilt-a-long. It's so liberating to have holiday sewing behind me so I can work on things I love just because I love 'em.

And that's perfect, because my word for the year is LOVE. Hoping your 2012 has gotten off to just as lovely a start!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Love the blocks you made! I decided to join the QAL also, even though I don't really need another project. But I love seeing everyone's blocks popping up so I knew I had to participate!
What a great word for the year!

Anita said...

LOVE your fabrics...how fun! And great job with all your blocks...I can imagine it was nice to sew again! =)

Staci said...

Oh, isn't that some of the very best kind of mail? Love all your pretty cottons!