Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Handmade Gifts Revealed (Part 1)

Remember those sneak peeks of holiday gifts a few weeks ago? Well, at least one has been given and a few more are made. Here's what I can reveal thus far:

For my friend who received the Spliceosome Quilt, in honor of his love of cooking with CSA produce and his frequent texts of "Hey, I got you something from the farmer's market and left it by your back door"... Pot holders! Yay! Backed in that fabulous turquoise batik (not pictured), and super-sized for his loooooong, articulate fingers.


For my girl D., the lovely impetus behind the vintage dress-cum-apron, a PINK journal and cover based on a starburst block and using V & Co's tutorial. After seeing me with a similar journal from a MCMQG door prize drawing, D. requested one for herself, but in pink. I happily dispensed my stock of pink and brown remnants, adding scraps from the project to my Sew, Mama, Sew giveaway box. Even before I'd sewn a stitch, I knew the front deserved a funky vintage button.



For my own personal journey (that is, a gift to myself!), a mug rug repurposing some raw-edge appliqued blocks made by former students. On one side is my block, and on the other are blocks that (a) bring back pleasant memories and (b) were the best examples of third-grade stitching out of 18 attempts. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined I'd be where I am today. This little mug rug honors and celebrates my years of teaching, reminding me of the joys without need to wish I were still in that career.



I'm looking forward to finishing up my few remaining gifts and posting about them soon!

Chag Sameach and Happy Chanukah, y'all!

No comments: