Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Hi to all first-time visitors to my blog! You are most welcome! My name is Mary, and I am the photo on the right. Lillian is my great-grandmother, and this blog is dedicated to her. Feel free to get more acquainted with me via the "About Me" tab.

For those of you not attached to the quilting world, every so often we share significant pieces we've made and link up via a central hub (found here), almost like a virtual show-and-tell.

This time I'm featuring my Stained Glass Quilt.

The inspiration for this quilt began when a good friend of mine became engaged. For years I've said what a quality individual this friend is, and I wanted to do something very special for the couple. Both are in their early 30s, and they've held out for one another in a lot of ways. The bride is from the UK, and the groom is Southern, so I was challenged to come up with a style that would work for both.

When I saw this quilt, I thought it would be perfect. Guess what?

It was.

Bride-to-be at her linen shower

Mottled greys from hand-dying

Passing it 'round

Examining the self-binding

The dedication


The label

Blessing the couple with LIFE and HOPE


I hand-quilted out of necessity (my machine was overdue for a tune-up at the time, and her stitches showed it!) and was finishing the binding the day of the shower. But of all the quilts I've worked on this year, this one's my favorite. I'm proud of the way it turned out, and it's a reflection of my heart for these two wonderful people.

Thanks for popping by! Click here to return to the Festival.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty. What a beautiful gift for a good friend.

Pat said...

What a wonderful gift!

Kim said...

Simply beautiful!

cauchy09 said...

oh, what a super sweet project! congrats on such a lovely quilt.

Barb said...

I love the simplicity of it, great way to use alot of fabrics that you love and want to showcase.

Eileen said...

What a fun, sweet quilt. Love the story and pattern with fun fabrics. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Annabella said...

What a beautiful quilt and such a personal present. Love the design and the little notes. Exquisite.

notes of sincerity said...

What a fabulous quilt and one to be cherished for many years. :o)

laura said...

beautiful

Hollie said...

Love this! It's a gorgeous quilt!

Ariane said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!!!