Friday, August 19, 2011

August Bee Blocks

We have two "bee hives" in the Orange You Glad Bee, and I'm in the one for first-timers (Hive A). I am, however, trying to hone my skills by making practice blocks in the patterns chosen by the "not first-timers" group (Hive B).

Hive B poly-cotton practice block:


Hive A practice block:


There were many ways to mix up the pattern with Hive A's block since instructions recommended the use of a certain commercial ruler. I think my measurements were off. My perfectionist tendencies, which had been on their way to an early grave, rear their ugly heads when I note truncated points and mismatched seams below. The disparity between the practice block and the orange block is intentional, though. I mixed up some of the cuts for the practice block and rectified them for the real thing!


On a whim, I made a second, slightly smaller block out of remaining fabric. This was my first experience with a Lemoyne Star. I definitely want to work on setting in pieces (maybe actually read some of those quilting technique books on my shelf, ay?). I worked from a book of templates that promised a 12-inch block, but this one fell short. Hmm... Lots to learn about this sweet art!


Meanwhile, the sewing machine is in the shop getting a tune-up. Perfect opportunity to--shh!--work on Christmas presents!

No comments: