Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dewberry Dress (a.k.a Making Fabric Do All The Work)

May your eyeballs be seared with flaming COLOUR!




Let's face it. I know I could win America's Next Top Petite Model and all, but in this case, I think the print is working it more than me!

Yes, that is pink pocket lining you glimpsed, as well as shockingly clashing pink lining for the bodice. After visiting the Stitcher's Garden (for a few peeks and description of that glory, check out my friend's post here), my best friend and I came home with less cash but more exuberance from unexpected finds! Among my purchases were a yard of Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 and a fat quarter to match. I stole back a favorite pattern from said friend and "made it work" with what I had.


I added pockets of my own making rather than follow the pattern, both for aesthetics and because I lacked enough yardage. I kinda like the obnoxious pink with the grenadine blossoms!



Please excuse the rumples and the lack of hook-and-eye. Those were amended after I wore the dress to church where I received lots of compliments, both from those who knew I'd made it and those who didn't. Such a sweet bit of gratification--beyond self-congratulatory pats on the back for making another obstinate zipper bend to my will, of course :-)

2 comments:

Barb said...

What an adorable dress.....

Anita said...

Yay! and you did a zipper...I hate zippers!

Those prints are great and you're right...great model too!