Thursday, July 7, 2011

Baby Binge

Big B, little B, what begins with B? Baby sewing bug has bitten, B, B, B...

After crocheting my first baby blanket for a cousin, I was suddenly seized with the desire to sew for my future children. No, I'm not pregnant, but maybe by the time I am, I'll be too busy with other things to sew a few basics. I'm beginning in earnest to build my modern version of a hope chest.

If you're not into alliteration, I apologize for what's to follow. I assure you, it was not intended, but it fits the theme, no?

First up:  bonnets! A few days ago, Sew, Mama, Sew posted a list of summer tutorials (hey, did you see my Rescued Threads [tm] Tote made it?) I was already in baby mode when I saw the tutorial for sunbonnets. Perfect timing! I used remnants of two different eyelets and lined one with scraps of a vintage sheet, the other with a remnant of voile from a friend's scrap bag. The tutorial was easy to follow, and the bonnets came together nicely! I only diverged by omitting the interfacing and putting buttons on both sides so the bonnets can be reversible. (Of course, I spent a delightful hour poring through buttons for just the perfect pairings!)





Next up:  bibs! I made a few of these for a friend last year based on a bib my mother allowed me to trace (thanks, Mom, for the idea and pattern!) but hand-stitched them. That family had lost their first baby, so this one was extra special. I found a print that said "sweet baby, miracle baby" and bought all I could find, creating bibs from the fabric. For my own bibs, I used seven different prints for the fronts and "miracle baby" for the back. Scraps of batting were used for filling, and the only part I hand-stitched this time were the snaps. I took the opportunity to practice some free-motion quilting forms instead!



For some, I attempted to trace the print of the fabric.


For others, I let the fabric inspire the quilting.


Finally, I practiced lettering using meaningful scriptures.

You have given me my heart's desire... Psalm  21:2
For this child I prayed and God has granted my desire. 1 Samuel 1:27

Last B for the time being (pun intended):  burp clothes! More scrap batting, more vintage sheet scraps, and remnants of flannel I'd purchased some time ago came together to fit my small-frame shoulders nicely. I practiced more free-motion quilting, this time focusing on lettering and drawing inspiration from scriptures. I want my children to know how much they're loved, desired, and destined for good things long before they are born.



Before I formed you in your mother's womb I knew you and set you apart for Myself. Jeremiah 1:5 
You formed my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. Psalm 139:13

Not one of all the Lord's good promises failed. Every one was fulfilled. Joshua 21:45

You wrote in your book all the days of my life before any came to be. Psalm 139:16

I've still a few more baby-themed WIPs, but that's enough for now! We'll see what more comes out of my hands over the next few days. I have a MCMQG meeting on Saturday and a women's open studio at church on Sunday. Should be lovely, and hopefully... not B themed!

2 comments:

Evan Becky said...

I absolutely love the burp cloths with the scriptures written on them!

KristyMN said...

Love the eyelet fabric on the bonnets. So glad you could use the tutorial! Thanks for sharing. I wish I was good at quilting words! Great work. Your baby has an awesome mama-made stash!