Saturday, June 25, 2011

Great Granny Square Baby Blanket

My cousin is having a baby! He and his wife married years after my Great Granny passed away, but I learned to crochet through her legacy and decided to pass it on!





Great Granny crocheted shell potholders using Boye no. 10 hooks and mercerized cotton thread. I drew inspiration from there and used variegated cotton yarn for the interior, bordering in natural yarn. With baby due in the fall, which can still be quite warm in the South, I thought it perfect to drape over a crib sheet and add just the right bit of warmth. 

Initially I believed the colors were a perfect match with the paint swatches I'd seen for the nursery, but when I looked again, I saw greys and reds. Happily, this presented me with an opportunity to dye the blanket grey!

This was my first attempt at a crocheted baby blanket and my first time dying anything yarn. I love the results, and my cousin and his wife did, too!

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a great way to pass on her legacy...they will love it.

Martha Winger said...

Wonderful! I made one of these for a co-worker and loved how it turned out. Love your Rules to Govern Creativity!