Thursday, June 16, 2011

Coldplay Mug Rug

Look at the stars... Look how they shine for... 


 You...


And everything you do...


Yeah, they were all yellow...


I never thought I'd enjoy the mug rug trend, but there's something satisfying about the opportunity to play with techniques on a small scale AND have a quick completion. Plus I needed something to go under my teacup while my coasters were being washed!

My inspiration for this mug rug came from the colors grey and yellow. I felt wonky stars would be a great format for playing with that palette. Impatient to finish, I tried sewing the binding on entirely by machine. Alas, I cannot find the tutorial I referenced, but the idea is that the binding is lapped far enough over in the back that a stitch run in the ditch from the front will catch the binding in the back. (How's that for a sentence? Check it--I'm sounding like a research article!)

The Coldplay connection didn't even occur to me until I was snapping photos. Just so happens that "Yellow" is one of my favorite songs. Love when the heart knows first, and the brain catches on later!

2 comments:

Barb said...

I so love your mug rugs....the stars are wonderful!

Royce said...

Mug rugs are fun. Sometimes I just use a decorative stitch on the machine bindings - getting it done quick. Love your colors.