Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

After being inspired by the other participants in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival, I decided to join! Here are pictures of the Walnut Dye Quilt completed early this year.


Precut squares were hand-dyed in walnut dye by the third grade. I helped each child align the squares and sew them together. Every child in the class participated. Sometimes they had to go back over seams with smaller stitches. It was great fine motor practice!

The backing was a plain sheet tied up and tossed in the walnut bath.


I was learning to free-motion quilt at the time. I actually became more comfortable with free-motion than using my walking foot! I decided to echo-quilt around the dye patterns, saving a "bubble-free" square in the center for a special message:


Because of the drab colors, I made a scrappy, cheery binding and blind-stitched it on.


The quilt measured about 60x60 when complete and was donated to our school's charity silent auction. A third-grade parent bought the quilt for over $700! It's lovely to know my work paid off in such a powerful way!


I loved working with this quilt, not only in teaching young sewers to piece but also in allowing the fabric to dictate the quilting. When I finished the quilt, it was really the second piece I'd done on machine. I'm still a relatively new quilter, so this one was a milestone for me!

Thanks for visiting, and be sure to check out the other inspiring quilts in the Festival!


Amy's Creative Side

14 comments:

Helene said...

WOW, WOW, and WOW! Brilliant!

Sandra said...

Awesome, love how you used an old dyeing method to create a very modern look. Your yo yo pinwheels are great.
Come see my entries, #212 repro cheddar stars and 216 antique 1850 applique flower garden

Sara said...

Such creativity here!! I like the circles,the texture and the binding is perfect:)

fallingforpieces said...

This is so fantastic. Love how it's such a natural quilt, but looks so modern and cool.

Esther said...

Excelent idea to use natural dye.Looks beautiful.

Dee J. said...

Miss Mary, the whole ambiance of this quilt appeals to me. And I also like your creativity rules.

Debbie said...

Wow. Amazing quilt AND great that it helped a charity!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

This is so beautiful with the walnut shell dying. It kind of reminds me of a moonscape. I love that you added a little color on the binding.

stitchinpenny said...

I think this was a great project to share with third graders and your quilting was amazing. Fantastic.

Eileen said...

how absolutely fun to have this project with the class. i love it. would like to know more about the dying process. really a wonderful thing. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Karen said...

I love the idea of the children being involved. The quilt looks great!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

That's really cool and even cooler you are teaching those young ones.

Hollie said...

Wow! This quilt is super gorgeous and I love that the third graders helped!

Mein Laden said...

Oh, I like this one!!! It is so special, and to know, that so many kids have "worked" on it, is even more special. Congratulations to this!