Sunday, March 20, 2011

A S(p)lice of Spring Break

Farm-fresh daffodils are my new favorite thing. These six were hand-picked for me and delivered in their mason jar after a night of contra dancing. [swoon]


To say a lot has happened since I blogged last would be an understatement. I'm only posting now because, after a month of lurching towards it, I've finally moved to a new house! I'm exhausted, but my brain won't shut off. I'm wide awake. So how's about some out-of-date Spliceosome quilt photos?

All pieced and laid out for basting...


The backing is a faded black-and-white striped sheet I found at a thrift store.

After basting, I wound the quilt around a cardboard bolt. Initially I figured I'd sit on it for awhile, but for some reason I had a sense of urgency to complete this piece.


Amid boxes, I tried quilting on the card table. All went surprisingly well!


The binding is leftover black and white strips.


At this point, the whole thing has been quilted and the binding partially attached. I just need to finish the hand-stitching. Pics to come. Meanwhile, my MCMQG Make It Modern challenge piece has been planned and fabrics selected. Imagine greens in shades as distinct as the Tennessee countryside in spring and as scraptacular as the limitations of my fabric fast!


I'm drawing inspiration from multiple sources at the Tennessee State Museum for this piece. I already had an idea of the direction I wanted to go before that visit, but it is interesting how I was drawn to pieces that would naturally lend themselves to this kind of design anyway.

Looking forward to settling into this new beginning! Happy first official day of spring!

1 comment:

Barb said...

Your quilt is lovely....