Monday, February 21, 2011

All Stars Complete!

I finished my last few stars. I couldn't wait to spread them all out. I was amazed to see what I'd done!




Each piece--piece, mind you--was hand-traced, hand-cut (with scissors, not a rotary cutter), carefully matched and hand-stitched. There are 121 stars altogether.

I was a bit flabbergasted at what I'd done. And then I wanted to somehow organize them (a seemingly impossible task) before setting them with the hexagons. My roommate came into the room and requested the camera. She caught me mid-bemusement...


... and wearing these socks. Good things happen when you wear robots on your feet. (Two pairs for a dollar at Target--and that "children's size" thing is really just a fancy way of saying "ankle socks for adults".) Robotic feet. Mmm...


Needless to say I was too overwhelmed to lay out the entire Geometry Quilt. I started with one block, though. I've organized my hexagons according to color, hoping to construct blocks like the one below to set off the stars and display nuances of the prints.


"... If you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one." --C. S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy


I like having handwork. I expect this will take considerably less time than my cathedral window chuppah (also entirely done by hand), but I'm in no rush. This one's for me, and I've all the time I need. :-)

3 comments:

Barb said...

Oh my gosh.....that is totally awesome....I would be blown away too...what an accomplishment...this is going to be one amazing quilt!

quiltmom said...

That is quite a collection of stars you have created- It is going to be one fabulous quilt. Thanks for sharing- I love your socks too.
Regards,
Anna

Atypical Girl said...

That first picture with all the stars is especially inspiring. Keep up the amazing work, Mary!