Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Days!

We had two snow days and I was busy!

Today I played around with shrink plastic--i.e. the container my take-out sushi came in! I used this tutorial and like the results!


I tried to find meaningful organic compounds to sketch on the plastic but settled for molecule-inspired themes instead.


ALSO today I basted my Baby Trees quilt! Hooray!


Yesterday was all about binding. I used my bias tape maker for scrappy binding for the walnut-dyed quilt, then machine-stitched one side down. Then I spent several hours blind-stitching other side of the binding (time consuming, but well worth it).


Oh, and I wrote in the blank square with free-motion stitches. Now the children will stitch their initials in the rest of the block.


The full effect...


And speaking of free-motion, I finally finished my free-motion sampler quilt! I lapped the extra backing fabric over, pinned and machine-stitched. The following photos are after washing. Loooove the texture!



My favorite bits are the places where quilting stitches are particularly dense.


I love how some of the designs which didn't show on the the black strips appear in the backing.


Although snow isn't melted, the roads are clear. Looks like I'll be back at work tomorrow! I'm so thankful to have had time to complete and play with projects these past few days! :-)

2 comments:

Sara said...

The best, well in my eyes anyway, *wink,wink* is the walnut-dyed quilt--marvelous work!

Cat said...

I love where you are going with your artistic quilts! The swirls in the walnut dyed are fabulous!!!

Yes, snow days are wonderful - have to stay inside and sew... today I am doing the hand stitching on the binding of four placemats.

Yay - you are ready to quilt your tree quilt!! It is looking great!

Enjoy your weekend, Cat