Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Fabric Fast

FabFast

I have too much.

Maybe you're the same way. Maybe you've noticed that your stacks of fabric look like this.


That you have pieced quilt tops you'd like to sandwich and quilt.


That family heirlooms-in-the-making are awaiting your TLC.


That people have given you pieces you'd like to finish.


That treasures are lying around in storage bins.


That you've said, "Oh, sure, I'll take 'em. I'm sure I'll find a use for 'em eventually," one too many times, but "eventually" never seems to come.


That you just don't know what to do with it yet, but you might as well hang on to it.


That your stash is pouring off shelves and out of drawers, awaiting realization of half-formed dreams and doodled designs.


Oh, and your closet is overflowing, too.


But you wind up at the fabric store anyway, and those colors look so tempting, and that print is so cute, and it's on sale anyhow, so you come home and add to the mountains and piles and bins, that list of to-do's that always seems to have a couple of things you forgot but were really exciting to think about at the store.

Well, I'm done. I've been thinking it over, counting the cost, weighing the gravity of such a decision, but finally I've come to it.

I am fasting from buying fabric for a year. (And that includes clothes, too!)

It's not the budget that's inspired me, although I'm sure the extra cash will be put to good use. It's not the eco-friendly connotations, either, although a "reuse/recycle" rather than "consume new" attitude certainly fits there. It's not even an issue of space and storage. I'm just ready for more completions. I figure the best way to complete is to exercise restraint on the front end.

2010 has been a banner year for sewing for me. I started this blog to document my work, but I had no idea how much I'd create. I started with a few pieces by hand, but have since completed my first quilt, created clothing without patterns, designed my own toys, had my sewing machine permanently set up, been commissioned to tailor, mend and design... It's been far more than I could have imagined. And I believe 2011 will be no different. I look forward to my creativity being stretched in ways I've not thought possible.

I'm working on creating a button if any would like to join me in this venture. I'm not looking to start a movement, but the journey is better when shared!

So here's to January 1, 2011, and a year free of fabric purchases. Happy fasting!

UPDATED:

I have a button thanks to this tutorial!


No comments: