Friday, August 27, 2010

Ready to Quilt Along!

Today I came home to check the mail and did not see the package at my door until my roommate pointed it out. "MY FEET! MY FEET!" I exclaimed! She looked at me as she usually does--i.e., with eyes saying "I understand you because you are weird like me, but your weirdness is confusing me just now." And so I pulled out my tiny box of sewing machine components and clambered downstairs to demonstrate.


For free-motion quilting, I have my wonderful darning foot (centered among the rest of the supplies for the quilt-along)!


And I have my walking foot! It made a nice, straight line. The darning foot bounds and bounces all over the place in a squiggly line. And the 1/4 inch foot...


Well, in theory it is supposed to help me make 1/4 inch seams, which my machine currently does not, but are you seeing what I'm seeing? This foot has no way to attach to the machine! Seriously, Sears? It took me long enough to figure out that my machine is "vertical"--sweet baby Kenmore has no item number anywhere, google and customer service didn't help... What's a girl to do, ay?

My button hole plate is worn out, so maybe I'll ask when I order a new one of those. ON the plus side, HOORAY! Totally stoked to be working with my new feet and feeling gloriously prepared to free-motion quilt!

2 comments:

raindropstitches.com said...

What kind of machine do you have? I had a Kenmore for years and I also used the same quarter-inch foot for it. It popped into place just like any of the other feet that came with the machine...

~Ahava

Teresa said...

My Janome has this kind of interchangeable feet. Check your regular foot. The one for everyday straight or zigzag sewing. Tip the foot up at the front and see if it pops off. If you do, then this kind of foot, you just line it up and lower the presser foot and it will pop onto the same stem that your regular foot was on. If your other foot doesn't pop off, then this is the wrong replacement foot.