Thursday, July 8, 2010

Threads

Sew, Mama, Sew!, you got me again!

Sew, Mama, Sew! asks...

  • How did you select colors for your personal thread collection?
  • Three ways: I stock the basics--black or dark brown, white or cream; I check clearance colors for fun; I buy with projects in mind--either strong contrasts or blending, depending on the project.
  • Do you always match the color perfectly to your project?
  • Not always--sometimes the point of the thread is to POP (such as here or here)!
  • Do you ever use contrasting thread?
  • Yes, of course!
  • Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread?
  • Honestly, it's rare. I try to keep a limited number of bobbins and use them efficiently. It's one thing to have a stash. It's another thing to have a hoard. As a recovering pack rat, I aim to use what I have rather than accumulate more.
  • What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors?
  • I'd go with the predominant color or my favorite color and take into account that contrast will happen. Or I might choose black, white or gray and let the stitches stand out that much more.
  • Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread?
  • Pick what your heart is drawn to. For fun, skip the thread and hit the paint store. Stand in front of the wall of paint chips and pull any color that speaks to you, then go home and play with combinations. See if that doesn't loosen anxiety about matching v. contrasting colors!
  • Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection?
  • See above!
  • Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)?
  • Yes--see above!
  • Do you “invest” in thread?
  • No. Thread is thread, and my name isn't Despereaux.
  • What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.)
  • Currently: all-purpose, hand-quilting, machine-quilting, denim, heavy-duty, polycotton and cotton. Oh, and embroidery. LOTS of embroidery :-)


  • Embroidery thread! I picked up a gallon of embroidery thread for $6 at a garage sale (literally, a gallon-sized storage bagful!) To this my mother added spools of embroidery thread she used at my age, thread I remember pulling from as a child.

    A gallon of embroidery thread


    My mother also included these lovely tatting/crochet hooks she found when she took her mother's sewing machine to have it cleaned and oiled. Any ideas for how to use the hooks with the thread?

    No comments: