Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ticking Purse

Lucky for you I have a friend with the fire department. He is used to answering calls about unexplained ticking objects.


I needed a summer purse and, of course, didn't want to buy one. When I pulled out what was left of my ticking, the lines fell together to inspire this shape!


Vintage buttons hand-sewn onto the front


It is so hot and humid that my camera lens fogged up when I walked outside to take pictures. Kinda like the effect, though!


Giant interior snap closure



Using the lines of the fabric as a guide, I cut out a rectangle, ironed interfacing onto one side, and sewed it, right sides together, then flipped it and topstitched. For the strap I used odd scraps of similar widths and pieced them together, added interfacing, sewed right sides together, turned and topstitched. Then it was just a matter of matching lines!


All machine-sewn except for the snap and decorative buttons. Loved the process of construction. It all happened so fast I didn't stop to photograph the steps, but when inspiration hits, sometimes you just roll with it!