Saturday, June 12, 2010

Momma's Cathedral Window

I went over to my parents' house yesterday and remembered to bring the camera!


This is the reason I chose to make a cathedral window quilt as my first. Momma made hers with the traditional white backing and colored inner squares. Some of the calicoes show up in her Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls!


Like me, she had originally intended a much bigger size. We laid our quilts out together. Hers is crib sized and rectangular. Mine is square. She stitched her initials and the year completed into the center. My older brother was born in 1983. This quilt has been part of my life as long as I can remember!

It is so lovely to see how my work is a reflection of family tradition. I think people in my generation sometimes have trouble figuring out who they are because they're not grounded in who their families are, both the accomplishments and the heartaches. I'm so blessed to have such a family and know how I fit with them! :-)

3 comments:

Cat said...

This is a great heirloom to grow up with! A simple patchwork quilt a grandma made influenced me as a child to love the mix of fabrics.

Melissa said...

Amen...

Fran said...

I've always LOVED your mother's quilt...and now I enjoy your blog. Aunt Fran