Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

If Grandmother checks this, she might ruin her surprise. I won't see her for a few weeks, but I made a couple of flower pins for her for Mother's Day.


For my mother, I made a Raggedy Ann and Andy soft book. The print is from a panel an aunt gave my mother, and awhile ago my mother gave that panel to me. You know the type--each page printed separately, instructions in the selvedge about how to put it together. Instructions recommended filling the book with felt, but I chose cotton batting.


I doubt it would have made much difference what order the pages were in. Not Pulitzer-winning writing by any stretch, but it was meaningful for my mother, and she was truly touched.



After stitching the pages together with batting, I outlined some of the picture elements in quilting stitches, then washed it to shrink and fluff up nicely.


I surprised my mother by showing up at my parents' church for this morning's service, and she was already wearing one of the cloth flowers I'd made for her. Last night I put another together (not pictured), so with the two she almost had a corsage! In light of the floods in Nashville and the fact that so many were affected--almost all church services were cancelled last week as pastors and congregations were trapped in their houses or bailing out basements--I am so glad to have the opportunity to honor my mother. She is truly a woman of noble character. Momma, I know you're reading this! Happy Mother's Day! I love you!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love Raggedy Ann - the book turned out very, very sweet...