Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finishes!

YAY!!!

I've been wanting to make one of these for awhile. I'd attempted it first in bleached muslin that I'd painted, but it ended up being too long (fantastic as a skirt, though). Then my roommate decided my hand-me-down pillows were too allergenic to bother covering, and I had an epiphany!

Ta-da! Repurposed pillow cotton! Is it a nightie? Is it a sundress? Whatever it is, it's made of one of my favorite things: REMNANTS! No, not the circles and squares. That's all a print. But the skirt and the chest pieces and straps are all remnants.

I made it long enough to wear to work, and the straps are teacher-appropriate. But even if they weren't...

... I crocheted a shrug! This way I can still get my sweet Southern glow when supervising sunny day recesses while giving the suggestion of teacherly propriety.

Love how the center circles line up so perfectly. Didn't plan that. The chest piece is backed in black so some of my construction shows through (oh well), but over all I love the way these pieces turned out, especially since I used a tutorial rather than a pattern for the dress and completely winged the shrug! :-) There's really nothing like finishing well. Now to enjoy some of that sunshine...

1 comment:

Tess said...

Oh this is so pretty. I must go check out that tutorial. I'd love to make these for my granddaughter and niece. Pretty pink colors, of course... LOL!! And I love the shrugg. Wish I could crochet that well...