Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hers and Mine

The day I finished my first actual quilting was the day this blog began. In the past I'd dabbled--a hand-made tufted doll's quilt stuffed with teddy bear innards, for example--but never before had I gone through the trouble of sandwiching cotton batting between two pieces of calico and running stitches through them. My creation? Coasters! Initially I wanted an easy holiday project to do with friends. Turns out these puppies are much more labor-intensive than anticipated. I wouldn't wish them on casual sewers. However, I have stacks cut and ready to be worked into gift form. I wouldn't be surprised if five or six sets end up in stockings or under deserving trees in a few months.

For the project I chose one of my favorite fabrics, one I'd been hoarding for something special.

As a comparison, here are snapshots of Lilian's quilt. I look forward to the day where family stories are told as children trace the edges and stains:  "The orange ink is from your mother's pen. One day she left the cap off as she was writing about your father, long before you were born, but not before you were a dream in their hearts. Your mother absentmindedly set the pen down on the quilt and walked away. When she got back there was orange ink everywhere! She was so upset thinking she'd ruined something so precious, thinking of you and how she could tell you about it one day." Or so we might say.


No comments: